On 12/14/17 12:20, Mark Kettenis wrote:
Date: Thu, 14 Dec 2017 11:49:18 +0100
From: Martin Pieuchot <m...@openbsd.org>

Date: Thu, 14 Dec 2017 10:30:21 +0100
From: Martin Pieuchot <m...@openbsd.org>

On 13/12/17(Wed) 19:09, Florian Riehm wrote:
Hi,

This patch follows bluhm's attempt for a ddb command 'boot reset'.
My first attempt was not architecture aware.

Tested on i386 by bluhm@ and on amd64 by me.

I don't understand why we need to add "boot reset"?  To not fix ddb(4)
and keep a broken "boot reboot"?  If we cannot fix our own code...

Funny you say that given the discussion about if_downall() on icb ;).

There's nothing funny.  There's people not reporting bugs with traceback
to bugs@ and coming around with workaround like that.

IIRC "boot reset" is all about avoiding the if_downall() call.  And we
really don't want to skip if_downall() in the "boot reboot".  We added
that call since not stopping the DMA engines of the network cards had
some very interesting effects when the machine rebooted...

If if_downall() is a problem, then please show me a traceback where
that's the case.  I'd be delighted to fix it :)

True.  Given the DMA issue, "boot reset" would be a rather dangerous
command.

If the command could lead to DMA issues, I agree that we should not
introduce it.
I also agree that we should try to make boot reboot as reliable as possible
and it works fine in most situations.
Anyway I have seen it hanging in some cases. This is a problem for me,
since I don't have physical access to my machines all the time. In such
cases I preferred the cpu_reset hammer. I have never noticed any side effects
like DMA issues, so I thought it would be a good idea, to provide that way
as a regular ddb feature. But I am also fine without the command.