On Tue, Feb 27, 2018 at 11:38:07AM -0700, Todd C. Miller wrote:
> On Mon, 26 Feb 2018 19:12:20 -0600, Scott Cheloha wrote:
>
> > Reading the latest POSIX description for times(3):
> >
> > > Upon successful completion, times() shall return the elapsed
> > > real time, in clock ticks, since an arbitrary point in the past
> > > (for example, system start-up time). This point does not change
> > > from one invocation of times() within the process to another.
> >
> > it seems to me that times(3) is meant to return a monotonically
> > increasing value.
> >
> > All other uses I've ever seen don't suggest a different understanding
> > by other application developers.  There aren't many left in base, but
> > gnu/usr.bin/gcc/gcc/timevar.c seems to support this.
> >
> > I don't have access to 1003.1-1988 [1] (the most recent standard
> > cited in times.3).  Has the description changed much?
> >
> > But, so, with this patch we use CLOCK_MONOTONIC to derive the return
> > value and update the manpage to reflect that.  While here, add a
> > RETURN VALUES section like every other library function page and reword
> > things to look like other library function pages (did my best).
>
> This is fine with me.  I'd be tempted to mention that on OpenBSD
> the return value is relative to system start time but I don't think
> it makes much difference since it is an implementation detail.

I want to avoid giving the reader even the slightest impression that
the return value from times(3) can be used for anything but real-time
interval measurement.  Mentioning that the value is relative to the
system start time seems to lean in that direction.  What did you want
to impart by documenting that?

-Scott