On Wed, Mar 14, 2018 at 10:27:10AM +1000, David Gwynne wrote:
> this makes netstart run "hostname foo0 up" for every interface that
> is configured. however, if you do not want an interface to be brought
> up on boot (you may just want to configure it) you can disable this
> by putting "down" in the file.
>
> this has two uses. the first is to simplify config for things like
> bridge. right now you need an explicit "up" for those interfaces,
> which is inconsistent with the configuration of most of our other
> interfaces.
>
> the other is to help move us away from using address configuration
> as an implicit up. this is particularly desirable for tunnel
> interfaces, where it doesn't make sense to bring an interface up
> until it has been properly configured. having netstart bring the
> interface up after all configuration, both tunnel and addresses,
> makes it possible for the kernel to check the tunnel configuration
> when it is brought up, rather than have it stumble along if it is
> misconfigured.
>
> thoughts? ok?

I, for one, would be very happy with this change. The inconsistency of
"up" only being sometimes required ends up causing me to add "up" to
most interfaces if multiple lines of configuration are present like for
vlan(4) interfaces and that type of thing. I had an issue where I
upgraded from 6.0 to 6.1 or possibly 6.1 to 6.2 and, because I did not
have "up" in some of the hostname.if files, I had some issues with the
upgrade. It was not a big problem but, as I understand it, this would
solve it completely.

Bryan