On Thu, Mar 29, 2018 at 11:57:43PM +0000, Ingo Schwarze wrote:
> I *could* maybe teach man(1) to honour $COLUMN by default when
> starting up in interactive mode, but i did not do so for the following
> reasons:
>
>  * Many people are using terminals wider than 80 columns, but
>    texts get hard to read when much wider than that.  Very long
>    lines become hard to follow.  (That's why newspapers usually
>    have columns of even less than 80 characters, but they don't
>    have as much indentation as manual pages either.)

This is very important. Our brains just are not good at working with
long lines. This is hard-wired. If anyone doesn't believe me, try
setting your browser window to a narrower width or use reader mode.
We read by mapping things out on the line. If it's too long, our brains
get "confused" and information is lost.

This is a problem with textbooks. The wide pages are needed for pictures
and diagrams, but the text should be written in narrower columns.

It's interestng that older hardware caused us to use narrow widths, but
that turns out to be best anyway.

Could anybody really follow code written at 200 columns width?

Chris Bennett