Hi Paul,

Paul Irofti wrote on Fri, Mar 30, 2018 at 11:23:54AM +0300:
> Ingo Schwarze wrote:

>>  * Nowadays, i guess that terminals narrower than 80 columns
>>    have become seriously rare, so there is not very widespread
>>    benefit for that case.

> Maybe that was true when we still had 4:3 screens, but now I always
> have 2 or 3 80 column xterms and space for another that is around 60
> columns.

I see.  I typically use three xterms side-by-side and for the remaining
space on the left a slightly overlapping one that i use more rarely.
When is use it, i often get away with only seeing the leftmost columns;
when i need to see all columns, i temporarily switch it to the
foreground.  Purely a matter of taste, of course.  I see that your
approach makes sense, too.

> So I guess a better choice would be:
>
>     $ alias man='man -Owidth=$(($COLUMNS<80?($COLUMNS-2):78))'

Sure, that seems reasonable for the usecase.

> which is EXACTLY what I was looking for! Can it be the default? :)

I'm neither particularly enthusiastiastic (because it requires
more code, in particular more getenv(3) which i dislike in general,
and because it adds another difference in behaviour depending on
isatty(3)) nor am im categorically rejecting the request.

If a few developers consider the feature useful, i shall implement
it; if nobody else speaks up, i'm more likely to KISS it.

Yours,
  Ingo