> pid files can easily get out of sync with the expected process (example:
> daemon starts, writes a pid file, later it crashes. at any point between
> the crash and you trying to stop/restart the daemon another process
> could be assigned the same pid, then the wrong process is signalled).

Wow, I've never thought about that)
pidfiles are so common on unicies, and mentioned in docs like "standard"
approach:
For example: http://uwsgi-docs.readthedocs.io/en/latest/Management.html
# using kill to send the signal
kill -HUP `cat /tmp/project-master.pid`

Is it because other OSes do not randomize pids as OpenBSD does (they use
sequental pids)
so chances for pid reuse are lower there?

Or do they simply "do not care"?

Anyway, if this is done intentionally, my approach is not correct.

Ilya.