Theo de Raadt wrote in <87985.1537307...@cvs.openbsd.org>:
 |I honestly think this is a foolishly complicated.

Maybe for OpenBSD only software.  But i think it is worth the
hazzle whenever affordable for certain types of software.

 |Just install the program, then run regress.  Install an older version
 |without the broken changes if it doesn't work.
 |
 |I tire of these interactions between environment variables,
 |base build methods, fork+exec paths in privsep programs, and now
 |getting tied into regress tests.

Ok.  Yes that i understand.

 |In a word, YUCK.

But, this is a makefile.  And also one which is most often run in
the magic environment of BSD make system.  It could even fail to
run as necessary by using prechecks, or restart itself via "env
-i" otherwise.  (You know all this of course.)

 |I think this isn't "convenience".  Rather it comes off as artifically
 |complicated, trying to solve a problem which doesn't need to be exist
 |at all.  Perhaps even perceiving there to be a problem which needs
 |solving via such abstration is the true problem.

This is why i step in: i have found it valuable more than once.
For example i (this is me you know) was able to interest the
busybox maintain for an awk bug, he even downloaded reproducers;
like so (i trim this, from a bugzilla page, issue 10596):

  You can use the mdocmx.1 file from the same URL [1] mdocmx.sh is
  at, it is the smallest (3010 bytes) i have that can be processed
  by the script:

  ?0[steffen@essex]$ AWK=nawk ./mdocmx.sh <mdocmx.1 | openssl sha1
  (stdin)= e949a0a362d409f79a171583ff5354a678032dcc
  ?0[steffen@essex]$ AWK=mawk ./mdocmx.sh <mdocmx.1 | openssl sha1
  (stdin)= e949a0a362d409f79a171583ff5354a678032dcc
  ?0[steffen@essex]$ AWK=gawk ./mdocmx.sh <mdocmx.1 | openssl sha1
  (stdin)= e949a0a362d409f79a171583ff5354a678032dcc
  ?0[steffen@essex]$ AWK='/bin/busybox awk' ./mdocmx.sh <mdocmx.1 |
    openssl sha1
  (stdin)= ee1f17a703d6fa8260854e69f129eabe12db7271

It would have been easy for this one, only a single place had to
become edited.  But like this i could continue development and
perform very easy checks without any further maintenance cost,
with only a little hurdle at the development start.

--steffen