On 2019/04/08 19:55, Hrvoje Popovski wrote:
> On 8.4.2019. 11:33, David Gwynne wrote:
> > this updates the ifconfig part of the diff
>
> This is great feature... thank you ..
> it would be great if dBm could be exported via snmp :)

You can do this via net-snmp already:
http://sysadvent.blogspot.com/2008/12/day-4-extending-net-snmps-snmpd.html?m=1

Better integration would be nice one day, but it adds complication (not
least it wants some caching mechanism, rather than triggering a slow NIC
operation every time a query comes in), and what already works is enough
to save a lot of time, disruption and expense (especially if €quinix
£emote hand$ are involved!) moving fibres to alternative equipment to
check light levels. Which is why I deliberately didn't mention the
S word ;)

> x3550m4# ifconfig ix0 sff
> ix0: identifier SFP (03)
>         connector: LC (07)
>         vendor: Intel Corp
>         product: FTLX8571D3BCV-IT
>         revision: A
>         serial: MTB07YW
>         date: 2015-03-26
>         temperature: 39.21 C
>         vcc: 3.36 V
>         tx-bias: 7.97 mA
>         tx-power: -2.66 dBm
>         rx-power: -4.22 dBm average
>

> switch side
> SFP+ 33 Temperature                      = 32.133C
> SFP+ 33 Voltage                          = 3.283V
> SFP+ 33 Tx Bias Current                  = 10.728mA
> SFP+ 33 Tx Power                         = -2.6978dBm
> SFP+ 33 Rx Power                         = -2.2643dBm
>
> dBm values on openbsd and switch should be similar, right ?

It depends ..

When I tested, openbsd<>flexbox, the values were different for each SFP,
but swapping the SFPs between the devices, the values followed the SFP.

This does make sense though.

Typically you have two strands of fibre and different connectors which
can behave differently (or in the other case with bidi, losses are a
little higher for one wavelength than the other).

Also the SFPs are individual devices with manufacturing differences, some
will be better than others.