Hi Tracey,

Tracey Emery wrote on Thu, May 23, 2019 at 02:35:10PM -0600:

> Attached is a proposed diff for cp(1). It adds the -l (hard link)
> and -s (symlink) options.

I don't like that.  That's exactly what can be done with ln(1) in a
standard way.  There is no value in making every tool do everything -
quite to that contrary, that only causes gratuitous complication and
confusion.

> These options are available in GNU cp, FreeBSD cp,
> and the -l option is at least in NetBSD and Dragonfly.
>
> I needed the -l option to use the system cp for rsnapshots, instead of
> their native_cl_al function. Hopefully, this will speed up my backups.

If the rsnapshots uses such options, i think you should send patches
to the rsnapshots project instead.  Tell them to use POSIX features
instead of relying on pointless GNUisms.

Yours,
  Ingo