Hi all,

Today, I've decided to try openrsync(1) instead of cp(1) and here
my thoughts so far:

1. Without rsync package installed, as is the case on a fresh OpenBSD
install, openrsync's --rsync-path attribute becomes compulsory, i.e.:

        $ touch file
        $ openrsync file /tmp
        /usr/src/usr.bin/rsync/io.c:224: error: unexpected end of file

while this succeeds as expected:

        $ openrsync --rsync-path openrsync file /tmp

This has caused me a bit of head scratching, especially since the
attribute's description:

        Run program on the remote host instead of the default rsync.

does not apply here - there is no "remote host" to speak of - I ran
the tests on the local filesystem(s).

Also, shouldn't it default to openrsync? Or, perhaps an automatic
fallback to openrsync if rsync is not found or copying is done only
locally?

Either way, less typing would be greatly appreciated! :^)

2. openrsync does not allow for multiple files to be given as source:

        $ touch file{1,2}
        $ openrsync --rsync-path openrsync file{1,2} /tmp
        /usr/src/usr.bin/rsync/flist.c:1064: error: file2: lstat: No such file
or directory
        /usr/src/usr.bin/rsync/io.c:224: error: unexpected end of file

This is regardless of whether I use file{1,2}, file*, or "file1 file2".
rsync obviously complies.

3. Given that the binary is installed as openrsync and it is also
referred as such in the manual page, the EXAMPLES section should
probably use that name. This has been suggested by Ingo (schwarze@)
in his diff a while back[0] but it isn't clear to my why it hasn't
been committed so not cooking up a diff just yet - also, not sure
what to do about the aforementioned --rsync-path.

[0] https://marc.info/?l=openbsd-tech&m=155404994129838&w=2

I've also noticed an issue where a content of a source directory
has been repeatedly copied to a destination (using -rt arguments)
despite both being identical. This was between FFS and MSDOS
filesystems if that's of importance. Other directories from the
same source directory copied into the same destination directory,
were copied only once. I'll try to reproduce it tomorrow if I can.

Regards,

Raf