On Thu, Oct 17, 2019 at 04:42:02PM +0100, Peter Kay wrote:
> First of all, thanks for including this, but should a diff be submitted
> to the man page that states it supports everything between SI and Vega?
> If I'm reading the documentation and past posts correctly, amdgpu uses
> Xorg's Glamor and Mesa to output anything. Mesa is at 19.0.8, so it
> should support Vega, but not Navi (Navi support seems to arrive in 19.2).
> I've just bought a Vega56 on the grounds it would shortly be supported in
> OpenBSD (didn't expect it this fast!), is supported in Free/NetBSD, has
> open source drivers, and at least isn't actively blocking PCI
> passthrough.
> (I didn't choose the Vega64 as the 56 seems to be able to be made quieter
> and retain most of the performance. The RX 5700 cards appear to still be
> bedding in)
> PK

Support for parts covered by radeondrm (SI, CIK) is not compiled into
the amdgpu kernel driver.  There is no support for Navi in the
linux 4.19 based code and Vega 20/Radeon VII support is prelimary and
disabled.

There are still problems with amdgpu compared to other drm drivers,
it was enabled as people considered the current situation an improvement
over not having it.

I'd rather leave the xf86-video-amdgpu man page as is.