On Thu, Jan 23, 2020 at 02:36:43PM +1100, Damien Miller wrote:
> On Wed, 22 Jan 2020, Stuart Henderson wrote:
>
> > On 2020/01/21 15:39, Damien Miller wrote:
> > > CVSROOT:  /cvs
> > > Module name:      src
> > > Changes by:       d...@cvs.openbsd.org    2020/01/21 15:39:57
> > >
> > > Modified files:
> > >   usr.bin/ssh    : sshd.c
> > >
> > > Log message:
> > > expose the number of currently-authenticating connections
> > > along with the MaxStartups limit in the proctitle;
> > > suggestion from Philipp Marek, w/ feedback from Craig Miskell
> > > ok dtucker@
> > >

> > It's nice to have this information visible, but it brings some problems.
> > You can't now distinguish between multiple sshd processes (e.g. if you
> > run several on different ports it's hard to figure out which one to
> > signal if needed).
>
> How could you discern between different sshd processes before? Just the
> command-line args?

Yes.
e.g. for 2 different sshd running:
root     92105  0.0  0.0  1360  1296 ??  I      Wed07AM    0:00.05
/usr/sbin/sshd
root     68236  0.0  0.0  1372  1364 ??  S       7:08AM    0:00.00
/usr/sbin/sshd -f /etc/ssh/sshd_config2

> What information would you like there? We could put the first N listen
> addrs in the proctitle if that would help.

Can't we put the args back and append the new things we expose?
That will also be easier to know which currently-authenticating / MaxStartups
sshd process we are talking about if we run several.
proctitle bit us in the arse several times in the past with rc.d.

My 2 cents, maybe I am talking garbage.

--
Antoine