Hi Andreas,

Andreas Kusalananda wrote on Mon, Feb 03, 2020 at 09:56:22PM +0100:

> Related: https://www.austingroupbugs.net/view.php?id=1244
>
> A proposal seems to have been accepted (if I'm reading it correctly) in
> November of last year to change the wording in POSIX from
>
>         The ident argument is a string that is prepended to every
>         message.

>         The ident argument is a pointer to a null-terminated identifier
>         that shall be prepended (without the null terminator) to every
>         message. The application shall ensure that the string pointed
>         to by ident remains valid during the syslog() calls that will
>         prepend this identifier; however, it is unspecified whether
>         changes made to the string will change the identifier prepended
>         by later syslog() calls.

Thanks for finding and showing the ticket.

That means the Austin Group agreed with the way i read the standard,
issued an interpretation clarifying it, and my patch is accurate in
that respect.

Note that we generally use simpler wording in our manual pages
than the Austin Group uses in the standard, to make the manuals
more readable.

Yours,
  Ingo