On Wed, Feb 05, 2020 at 05:48:41PM -0700, Todd C. Miller wrote:
> On Wed, 05 Feb 2020 15:47:37 -0600, joshua stein wrote:
>
> > The spec says the behavior of anything other than O_RDWR and
> > O_NOCTTY is unspecified, but FreeBSD allows passing O_CLOEXEC.
>
> OK, but the manual needs to specify that O_CLOEXEC support is an
> extension.  E.g., under STANDARDS:
>
> The ability to use
> .Dv O_CLOEXEC
> is an extension to that standard.
>
>  - todd

FWIW, it looks like a future standard version/revision will add O_CLOEXEC to
posix_openpt. See https://www.austingroupbugs.net/view.php?id=411 (grep for
posix_openpt, which is included among many other similar modifications).

I haven't yet figured out the rules for that group and how things wind up in
the published standard; what counts as a defect and what counts as a new
feature. I'm a little surprised it's not already in the -2017 revision.
IIRC, some other changes related to O_CLOEXEC/FD_CLOEXEC consistency made it
into -2017 and earlier revisions.