Hi Otto,

* Otto Moerbeek wrote:
> Hi,
>
> This is amd64 only, it contains some i386 pieces, but those are
> incomplete.
>
> With the diff, install uses ffs2 for the filesystems created during
> install. All boot loaders (except the floppy one) contain support for
>
> To test, create a snapshot (see release(8)) with this diff and use it
> to install a new system. You could also use the snap at
> www.drijf.net/openbsd/66. Note that it is unsigned.
>
> Note that when you manually create an fs, it still will be ffs1 by
> default. That is to not disturb other platforms. Use -O2 for ffs2.
>
> Please test and provide feedback. One think you should see is that the
> newfs is much faster and fsck as well, since ffs2 creates inodes
> lazily and thus has much less inodes to check in the typical case.

I used your provided snap to do a few installations with VMs.  The
following things worked as expected:

* Default install on one disk
* Install on softraid crypto disk
* Install on softraid 1 with two disks below

I verified each time with dumpfs that FFS2 was used indeed.

I also checked out a large git repo on the first VM into /home and
pulled the plug to see how fsck behaves.  After reboot, fsck marked / as
clean and then I saw the message that init changed the secure level from
0 to 1, but nothing more happened.  I could type so the system was not
hanging, however, it was also not checking /home (which I expected).  I
waited for 5 minutes, pulled the plug again and the fsck worked as
normal and the system booted to the login prompt.

I did that multiple times and each time it stopped on the first run.
After power cycling, everything worked as expected and ... wow, fsck on
FFS2 is indeed fast.

Cheers

        Matthias