Hi, thank you for sharing your thoughts, Tobias.

On 2020/04/03 21:31
Tobias Heider <tobias.hei...@stusta.de> wrote:

> On Fri, Apr 03, 2020 at 12:52:24AM +0900, Wataru Ashihara wrote:
> > It would save our time of thinking and reading the source (i.e.
> > eliminate the process of "what if the variable 'mobike' was 2 or more?
> > ...aha it's just a bool").
> >
> > This is still work in progress. I would continue if you maintainers are
> > positive on this proposal.
>
> Hi,
>
> i think using bool is not generally a bad idea but I am somewhat sceptical
> that the benefits of this really outweight the dangers of introducing new
> bugs in otherwise working code.
>
> Another concern of mine is that I would prefer our codebase to be coherent
> in style (which currently means not using <stdbool.h>). Having a coherent
> style is pretty important because it allows developers to work in any
> part of our code base without changing their habits.
>
> We have also had discussions about the use of stdbool.h before. Here is a
> link a recent one with some more opinions on the topic:
> https://marc.info/?l=openbsd-tech&m=157427044406050&w=2

It makes sense to me. Unfortunately clang and gcc can't raise errors
about implicit conversion between bool and int. I didn't consider much
about introducing new bugs because I've been helped by clang-tidy, which
warns about it[1], but not everyone uses it... (at least at this time)

[1]:
http://clang.llvm.org/extra/clang-tidy/checks/readability-implicit-bool-conversion.html

I give up this patch, but I still believe that the self-explanatory type
of bool must be informative especially for newbies, so now I hope this
style would be proposed as a part of style(9) if compilers implement
-Wbool-blah-blah or OpenBSD starts its CI with clang-tidy...

> - Tobias

Regards,
Wataru