The process of using 40/50 row vga text modes is pretty cumbersome now:

wsfontload -h 8 -e ibm /usr/share/misc/pcvtfonts/vt220l.808
wsconscfg -dF 1
wsconscfg -t 80x50 1

I just reported a bug and a fix with font corruption, but I want to
propose a
few usability improvements that I am interested in hacking on.

Not caring about extended VGA text modes is a perfectly reasonable
position today, so wave me off if this wouldn't be desirable.

Including a default 8x8 and 8x10 font in the kernel to avoid the need to
wsfontload would be nice, and allow it to be used for early boot. Is
4.5k
too much for a fringe feature?  2k for just the 8x8?

Wsconscfg could allow the -dF options at the same time as the type and
emul options, allowing an existing screen to be deleted and reconfigured
in
a single step.

Better yet would be to allow the screen type to be reconfigured on the
fly
without deleting it at all.

If that is done, then wscons could support ctrl-alt-+/- to dynamically
change
text modes.

In the modern world, it would be really nice to have similar ability to
change the fonts used by the framebuffer based consoles to get denser
text
modes.  Wsconsctl can report the display.fontwidth/height, but can't
change
it. Use of different spleen fonts could be defined as a "type" like the
VGA
modes and take advantage of the other changes.