On Thu, Jul 23, 2020 at 09:41:53PM +0200, Klemens Nanni wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 22, 2020 at 04:09:49AM +0200, Klemens Nanni wrote:
> > Doing "*stat <tab><tab>" in my shell I came across those two entries
> > under /usr/bin/ which are undocumented:
> >
> >     $ man -k any~'^(host|purge)stat$'
> >     man: nothing appropriate
> >
> > /etc/mailer.conf has no entries for them but mailer.conf(5)' EXAMPLES
> > section demonstrates using them with the mail/sendmail port.
> >
> > CVS log has it that we've been installing those two symlinks two
> > mailwrapper since its import from NetBSD in 1999 and mentioning the
> > examples since 2001, but I couldn't find a specific commit that
> > eventually removed their supporting code.
> >
> > All other symlinks to mailwrapper(8) (sendmail, newaliases, mailq and
> > mailmap) have their own manual pages and respective argv specific code
> > under /usr/src/usr.sbin/.
> >
> > Assuming that purgestat and hoststat usage/code went away with removing
> > sendmail from base at latest, can their symlinks be considered leftovers
> > and removed?
> Ping.
>
> Feedback? Objections? OK?

yes, i supplied feedback to this diff on the day you mailed it. my reply
was:

        sendmail. they add compatibility for sendmail-compatible mailers. some
        folks are used to having them around.

        i guess gilles or guenther or millert would be good folks to ask about
        whether its worth removing them.

        some aspects of the mailer system are a bit weird because of the
        dominance of sendmail.

and you never replied.

did you ask any of our mailer guys?
jmc