I tried to mount a 12TB USB drive, and was getting an "Inappropriate
file type or format" error.

It turned out to be due to exFAT formatting, but it took me some
investigating to figure that out.  Would it be reasonable to have the
kernel print a more informative warning like "exFAT filesystem not
supported" when you try to mount it with mount_msdos, or are additional
kernel prints considered bad form?

With Microsoft's release of the spec last year, is the path open for
kernel support now, when someone gets around to it?

I have seen some comments about the reliability of exfat-fuse, will I
be sad if I try to use it for something important?