On Tue, Sep 08, 2020 at 07:13:10PM +0200, Stefan Hagen wrote:

Hello Stefan,

> An audio device is special in a way that it has playback and recording
> capabilities in one device. The sysctl is used to allow playback (by
> default) but not allow recording.
>
> Video (as in webcam) is always a recording device, which shouldn't be
> allowed to access in a default install (in contrast to audio playback).

Personally I only set kern.audio.record to 1 immediately before I want to
record from my microphone: I turn it back to 0 immediately afterwards, as I
don't want a program to record audio when I'm not expecting it to. It would
be impractical to do this if it was at a group level, as I would have to log
out and back in to make the equivalent change.

[I approximate this change by chown'ing a-rwx /dev/video after I've used my
webcam though, of course, any other program can chown it back afterwards, so
this is gives only very limited security.]

Laurie