> Am 10.09.2020 um 14:09 schrieb Marcus Glocker <mar...@nazgul.ch>:
>
> On Mon, 7 Sep 2020 21:39:55 +0200
> Marcus Glocker <mar...@nazgul.ch> wrote:

>>> I think we'd just want to turn it into an acpi(4) driver.  Or maybe
>>> dump it in favour of your driver.
>>
>> Ok.  I'll give it a try to convert asmc(4) in to an acpi(4) driver and
>> see how it works here.
>
> I can make asmc(4) attach through acpi(4) on my machine, but then it
> crashes with uvm fault because it doesn't seem to recognize my machine
> type, and tries to access a NULL pointer on 'sc_prod'.

What is hw_prod on your machine, e.g. please can you
show sysctl hw output and dmesg, please?

> My approach was more to not relay on specific machine types, but just
> check what sensors are supported by the SMC and try to use them.  I
> lack a bit motivation to add specific models to asmc(4) to be honest.

Actually, I’ve chosen this route, because SMC also advertises sensors
which should not be attached, e.g. light sensors not actually available.
Even worse, the other way around: it has several hidden non-advertised
features and different based on the models.

So, one needs dependency list somewhere between model and features.
I tried to keep it as short and simple as possible, and easy enough to update.

> One question just out of curiosity;  When you use acpiapplesmc(4) on
> your iMac, does it support any sensors there, or even does it work at
> all?

I never got feedback/dmesg for a working iMac and don’t own one myself
for testing. So the support in the driver is untested.
Likely my best-(educated-)guessed prod string is just wrong  ;)

Regards,
Jörg