On 2020/10/08 15:40, Christian Weisgerber wrote:
> At this point, I don't know how many SSH servers are still out there
> that don't handle Ed25519.  I still have an ECDSA key somewhere
> that I use to log into a machine that still runs... "OpenSSH_6.0p1
> Debian-4+deb7u7, OpenSSL 1.0.1t  3 May 2016".  There is a lot of
> networking equipment that allows uploading of a user key for SSH
> login but may include a comically obsolete version of OpenSSH or
> some alternative implementation that doesn't do Ed25519.

I don't think that's a show-stopper, people using such equipment likely
already need to do non-default things to have OpenSSH connect to it,
My typical config for connecting to switches, including some current
models running latest available firmware, looks like

  KexAlgorithms +diffie-hellman-group14-sha1
  HostKeyAlgorithms +ssh-rsa

(and I still have a few things running where I need to break out an
alternative client because openssh won't talk to them at all any more..)