On Sat, Oct 17, 2020 at 05:52:58PM +0200, Jan Stary wrote:
> Currently, mixerctl.conf(5) says
>
>       Most devices have a number of digital to analogue converters
>       (DACs), used for sound playback, and each DAC has a corresponding
>       output mixer. The mixers are labelled “mix” or “sel”.
>
> That doesn't seem to be the case, at least not universaly
> as the wording seems to imply. For example, this is
> mixerctl output on a Thinkpad T400:
>
>       inputs.dac-0:1=222,222
>       inputs.dac-2:3=222,222
>       inputs.beep=0
>       record.adc-2:3_source=mic2
>       record.adc-2:3=219,219
>       record.adc-0:1_source=mic
>       record.adc-0:1=219,219
>       outputs.hp_source=dac-0:1
>       outputs.hp_boost=on
>       inputs.mic=189,189
>       outputs.mic_dir=input-vr80
>       outputs.spkr_source=dac-2:3
>       outputs.spkr_eapd=on
>       inputs.mic2=189,189
>       outputs.hp_sense=unplugged
>       outputs.mic_sense=unplugged
>       outputs.master=240,240
>       outputs.master.mute=off
>       outputs.master.slaves=
>       record.volume=240,240
>       record.volume.mute=off
>       record.volume.slaves=
>       record.enable=sysctl
>
> Apparently, it has two DACS (for the speakers and the headphones).
> The current wording might confuse the user into thinking he has
> no output mixer, but the
>
>       inputs.dac-0:1=222,222
>       inputs.dac-2:3=222,222
>
> do control the respective volumes,
> while no "mix" or "sel" exists.
>
> Similarly for recording via the two ADCs.

It depends on the hardware. Basically, azalia exposes the schematic of
the mixer and, in turn, the driver exposes all "widgets" to the upper
layers, with a generated name. This is very similar to uaudio.

Certain devices have no "mix_xxx" widgets others have. On one of my
machines:

$ doas mixerctl | egrep '(inputs|outputs).mix' | wc -l
      20

desktop computers have many jacks and tend to have many
mixers. The "sel_xxx" widgets are rare but still exist.