Dear readers,

pfctl -vv -ss shows detailed information on states.
I would like to improve the information provided about specific TCP connections,
regarding the latency of the network.
An obvious way seems to be to measure the time to get ACKs back.
Another way would be to use packets timestamps.

I patched my kernel to extract this information and
log it, before trying to report it to the userland.
I did not use timestamps, because I am not sure how i could do that.
If you have any advice on that, it would be welcome.
Moreover the patch is a prototype,
So I would appreciate any feedback on my diff (attached):
Currently the code is using a LABEL to trigger the measure,
of course, later it should be a keyword like "latency" in the rules.
For example :
match proto tcp to port 80 latency
Or something else.
This would be discuss after choosing a method for latency computation,

Maybe there is a better way to extract network TCP latencies information
( i would like to avoid running in promiscuous, but if a current
packaged software does it well... )
but I did not come across it.
Please share if you know of a better way to tackle this.

Happy holidays !