On Fri, 15 Jan 2021 06:23:01 -0700
Thomas Frohwein <tfrohw...@fastmail.com> wrote:

> > > Sure, here we go.
> > > If I can find anything myself in the meantime I let you know.
> >
> > So the problem doesn't seem to be in your new ujoy(4) code, but how
> > the dev/hid/hid.c:hid_is_collection() function tries to cope with
> > the PS4 controller.
>
> So with the hid_is_collection() problem not easy to mitigate [1],
> should we table the ujoy(4) proposal for now pending a fix for the
> problems with the PS4 controller? Or is this interesting enough for
> some to work on moving forward despite this issue and finding a
> solution for this specific (and in some ways unusual) device later?
>
> 3-4 have tested and reported to me so far. It seems so far that the
> only new breakage is with the PS4 controller, and there is probably
> another solution that can be found later that doesn't break other
> drivers like [1]?
>
> [1] https://marc.info/?l=openbsd-tech&m=161043081617336&q=mbox

What I don't like when we import ujoy(4) as is;  It will break
currently supported devices like the PS4 controller.  The kernel change
won't even be the problem since the PS4 controller still would attach to
uhid(4), same as before.  But after the import we will need to start
changing the ports for those controllers which attach correctly, and
require the ports to query the new ujoy(4) device.  At this point the
PS4 controller won't work anymore ...

And unfortunately it doesn't look like there is a proper HID fix in
sight currently which would work for all the devices.