On 2021/04/27 16:23, Raymond E. Pasco wrote:
> On Tue Apr 27, 2021 at 3:40 PM EDT, Stuart Henderson wrote:
> > How does this work with other web servers? For example, I don't see the
> > string X-Forwarded-Proto in nginx or Apache httpd (and the use of other
> > X-Forwarded headers in them are only for adding to requests when running
> > as a proxy itself, or picking up the client IP from headers rather than
> > TCP).
>
> I think this header is usually set by administrators in a configuration
> file, at least for nginx; something that aims to be more out-of-the-box
> like Caddy sets it automatically.
>
> My understanding is that common reverse proxies can be told to rewrite
> the Location header in this and similar cases, but I haven't looked
> closely at it.

It's the other way round, this (or proto= in the newer standardised
Forwarded header) would be set by a reverse proxy to indicate the
protocol that the client request came in on so that something running on
the webserver could react accordingly (either in URL construction or to
issue a redirect to https if wanted).