On Thu, Jun 17, 2021 at 10:01:02AM -0600, Gavin Howard wrote:

> Otto,
>
> > I think it is interesting. As for the incompatibilites, my memory says
> > I followed the original dc and bc when deciding on those (GNU chose to
> > differs in these cases). Bit it has been 18 years since I wrote the
> > current versions, so I might misrememeber.
>
> I think that makes sense to me. Unfortunately, when I was building my
> dc, I couldn't find any mention in the OpenBSD man pages, which I used
> to ensure as much compatibility as I could, that arrays and registers
> were not separate. Well, there was one (the `;` command mentions
> registers, but the `:` command does not, so I thought that was a typo).
>
> Regarding the 0 having length 0 or 1, that was a decision I agonized
> over. My dad, who is a mathematician, said that it could go either way.
> Unfortunately for me, if this is a showstopper incompatibility (and it
> might be based on how the test suite uses `length()` and `Z`), I do
> think I would keep it as it is and accept that OpenBSD will not want my
> bc(1) and dc(1).

It looks like GNU dc and bc do not agree:

$ dc -V
dc (GNU bc 1.06) 1.3

Copyright 1994, 1997, 1998, 2000 Free Software Foundation, Inc.
This is free software; see the source for copying conditions.  There
is NO
warranty; not even for MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE,
to the extent permitted by law.
iMac:~ otto$ dc
0Zp
0

and

$ bc
bc 1.06
Copyright 1991-1994, 1997, 1998, 2000 Free Software Foundation, Inc.
This is free software with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY.
For details type `warranty'.
length(0)
1

I confirmed the original dc by Morris and Cherry indeed print 0 for
the above test case.

        -Otto