Stuart Henderson <s...@spacehopper.org> writes:

> That FreeBSD commit prevents using their "hw.ahci.force" tunable on the
> device, it's used for attaching as AHCI to certain known chips even if
> they're set in legacy IDE mode.
>
> Does it work to just add the vid/pid to the ahci_devices[] array
> without a specific attach function? (like PCI_PRODUCT_ASMEDIA_ASM1061_SATA).

After a little discussion off-list with Jonathan Matthew, I think what
I've experienced here is actually an SSD that is on it's way to the
great silicon graveyard.

What I was experiencing was brief periods (sometimes a couple of
seconds) of what seemed like I/O related pauses when trying to access
files from that disk (the machine remained responsive the whole time to
ssh, tmux etc but whatever process was trying to access that disk
would hiccup briefly). However, I experienced it *only* with one
particular drive (and it's quite an older one) - other drives did not
do this whether regardless of NCQ being on or off.

I had not experienced this with that drive in other systems
previously. But after doing some testing again today I've now
experienced the same hang  on a completely different machine with a
completely different AHCI controller with the drive getting somewhat
warm to the touch when idle - so given that the SSD in question is ~7
years old, I'm going to put it out to pasture.

I selected NCQ because IIRC it's the first feature knockout mask listed
in the header - it just happened to seem like it worked. Me Googling and
misreading the FreeBSD commit wasn't the trigger for selecting NCQ
anyway - I was just looking for confirmation I wasn't going crazy but
apparently I am. :-)

Based on that I *think* attaching it just like the ASMedia device will
work, but let me test that a little more thoroughly before I send an
updated diff.

Thanks for the review and sorry for the confusion,

Ash