Since you obviously care enough to reply and wonder about what I'm doing, I can
happily let you know.

I was trying to configure the network while running bsd.rd. I figured I could
reuse netstart when I spotted this bug.

The bug is that the second part of the expression breaks when sysctl returns
nothing. The solution could be to split just that expression out and use test.

Now that I have explained the bug and the solution, it's on you to fix it. I
have already moved on.

Cheers.