On Thu, Dec 30, 2021 at 12:34:14PM -0800, Chris Cappuccio wrote:
> Christopher Zimmermann [chr...@openbsd.org] wrote:
> > On Mon, Dec 20, 2021 at 04:41:07PM -0700, Theo de Raadt wrote:
> > > You say it twice.  But my eyes still glazed over it, not seeing what was
> > > going on the first two times.
> > >
> > > Maybe something more like
> > >
> > >      prio 0 and 1 are mapped out of order to PCP 1 and 0, but prio 2 to
> > >      7 are mapped directly to PCP 2 to 7.
> > >
> > > No that still doesn't quite capture it in a visible way. How about
> > >
> > >      prio 2 to 7 are mapped directly to PCP 2 to 7, but prio 0 and 1
> > >      are mapped backwards, to PCP 1 and 0, because <.......>
> > >
> > > Something which will draw the eye+brain to 'something is different here'.
> > > The table alone doesn't do that.
> >
> > I agree. How about this?
> >
> >      The 802.1Q and 802.1ad protocols include a Priority Code Point (PCP).
> > By
> >      default, the 802.1p PCP in a transmitted packet is based on the
> > priority
> >      of packets sent over the interface, which may be altered via
> > pf.conf(5);
> >      see the prio option for more information.  Alternatively, the
> > ifconfig(4)
> >      txprio option can set a specific priority for transmitted packets. On
> >      vlan and svlan interfaces priorities 2 to 7 will be mapped directly to
> >      PCP 2 to 7, but priorities 0 and 1 are mapped backwards, to PCP 1 and
> > 0.
> >      This is because 802.1p defines PCP 1 as lowest priority and PCP 0 as
> >      second lowest priority, which is meant to be used as default (???best
> >      effort???).
> >

> I think the best way to get someone's attention is to mention the
> conflict first, like in Theo's example. Yours seems wordy, a person
> has to read several sentences before they even realize something
> unusual going on here.
>
> Chris

hi chris.

it's a fair point. but i suppose the other side is that this way all man
pages would begin with a list of important points. almost like sticking
CAVEATS at page top.

i think the text is written in a logical order, to be honest. if all the
stuff before the "watch out!" text is not needed, then i guess a CAVEATS
might be better. but it reads like it;s all useful.

(but to be fair, i really am not familiar with this stuff)

jmc