Hi Mark!

On 5/1/22 12:27, Mark Kettenis wrote:
>> Date: Sun, 1 May 2022 11:13:13 +0200
>> From: "Johannes (krjdev) Krottmayer" <krj...@gmail.com>
>>
>> Hi,
>
> Hi Johannes,
>

>> Exists there an official support for this router?
>>
>> Here the official product page:
>> https://www.netgear.com/home/wifi/routers/rax200/
>>
>> If there is no official support for the SoC and the devices, I will
>> try to add support for it. I'm currently need only to get the Ethernet
>> ports to work for my personal new CAT8 home network. :)
>>
>> Short technical data:
>> Base architecture: Quad core Cortex-A53 running at 1.8Ghz
>> SoC: Vendor Broadcom (Model currently unknown). Must open the
>> router and investigate all hardware components and figure out the
>> pins for the debug UART.
>
> If that information is correct, then you'd have to basically start
> from scratch.  The only Broadcom SoC that OpenBSD supports is the one
> found in the Raspberry Pi, which is almost certainly completely
> unrelated to the Soc in your router.

Yes, the information should be correct. I have extracted the vendor
firmware image with binwalk. I have investigated the root Device-Tree
blob. There will be also a modified Linux distribution from  OpenWrt
used. But these modification are garbage for me.

Why?

Some NO-Go's for me:

- The router need a Android app for configuration in the default setup
- The WebUI is NOT accessible when WAN isn't connected OR there is an
issue. The configuration needs a specific WWW domain.

Yes, to configure the router you must use a website in the unsafe WWW
to configure the router, WLAN, firewall, ...

So it's high priority for me to get rid of this garbage vendor
fimware...

> Broadcom doesn't publically release documentation for their SoCs.  If
> the SoC is supported in Linux you might learn enough about it to add
> support for it.  This isn't going to be an easy job.
>
>> My first goal is to add UART support. So I can communicate via the
>> serial console.

My current goal is to open the device and locate the UART. No problem
as hardware and software developer for me. I think U-Boot will be used
as bootloader, so I only need (if enabled) to enter the U-Boot command
mode (interrupt autoboot from u-Boot), then I can investigate at least
the U-Boot device tree for more information. :)