On Wed, Jul 13, 2022 at 02:18:53PM +0200, Otto Moerbeek wrote:
> Hi,
>
> after a prompt from stsp@ and florian@, reporting that newfs_msdos
> fails when given an $duid.i argument, I set down to see what could be
> going on. My test using an USB stick failed to reprdouce the problem.
> Then I started using a vnd, and that shows the issue (once in a
> while). The feeling is that any disk devcied created on the fly might
> show this issue.

Just as an additional detail: This also affects softraid volumes,
which is how I ran into the issue. Installing a laptop with
softraid full disk encryption on top of an EFI/GPT disk can result
in a failure to format the MSDOS partition required for installing
the EFI boot loader. When this happens the installer reports that
it could not install a boot loader.
A manual invocation of newfs_msdos with the correct /dev/sdxi device,
and a subsequent invocation of installboot, can be used as a workaround.