On Thu, Sep 08, 2022 at 05:52:43AM +0300, Pavel Korovin wrote:
> On 09/07, Scott Cheloha wrote:
> > Just to make sure that my changes to acpihpet(4) actually caused
> > the problem, I have a few more questions:
> >
> > 1. When did you change the OS type?
>
> 03 August, after that, there was a local snpashot built from sources
> fetched on 17 Aug 2022 22:12:57 +0300 which wasn't affected.
>
> > 2. What was the compilation date of the kernel where you first saw the
> >    problem?
>
> Locally built snapshot from sources fetched on Wed, 31 Aug 2022 02:05:34
> +0300.
>
> > 3. If you boot an unpatched kernel does the problem manifest in
> >    exactly the same way?
>
> As I said, I mistakenly changed the OS type not to "FreeBSD Pre-11
> versions (32-bit)", but to "FreeBSD 11 (32-bit)".
> The problem affects only VMs which have Guest OS Version set to "FreeBSD
> Pre-11 versions (32-bit)" on snapshots built after 31 Aug 2022.
>
> Sample outputs from the machine running older snapshot which is not
> affected:
>
> $ sysctl kern.version | head -n1
> kern.version=OpenBSD 7.2-beta (GENERIC.MP) #1: Thu Aug 18 15:15:13 MSK
> 2022
>
> $ sysctl | grep tsc
> kern.timecounter.hardware=tsc
> kern.timecounter.choice=i8254(0) acpihpet0(1000) tsc(2000)
> acpitimer0(1000)
> machdep.tscfreq=1500017850
> machdep.invarianttsc=1

Please send a full bug report to b...@openbsd.org.

Include full a dmesg for the affected machine.

Something else with VMWare is involved here and I'm not enough of an
expert to say what.  More eyes will be helpful.

Your problem is *probably* caused by my changes, but there are too
many moving parts with all the different VMWare configurations for me
to narrow down what the issue is definitively.