Need to query (and set $if, which might be used in route commands etc) I think.

--
 Sent from a phone, apologies for poor formatting.

On 22 November 2022 08:37:05 Florian Obser <flor...@openbsd.org> wrote:

On 2022-11-22 18:06 +10, David Gwynne <da...@gwynne.id.au> wrote:

There are a few things to keep in mind if we're going to use lladdrs like this.

vlan interfaces start with their lladdr as 00:00:00:00:00:00 and then assume the lladdr of the parent interface when that is configured.

Clonable devices (eg, egre, vport, aggr, etc) tend to generate random
lladdrs when they're created. If you want a consistent lladdr for
these you configure that in /etc/hostname.vportX or whatever you're
using.

ifconfig(8) already knows about these (see -C option). Which made me
think, it might be easier to just ask ifconfig(8).

$ ifconfig -Q 00:80:41:7b:f3:c3
vio0

Would that be helpful?

Or would you need

# ifconfig 00:80:41:7b:f3:c3 inet 192.0.2.2/24

to work?

I think you want to query,no?

"Platform deficient" systems like arm SBCs don't always do a good job
of providing lladdrs for their ethernet interfaces. I'm working on one
now that has rge(4) and it comes up with an lladdr of
00:00:00:00:00:00. I have another one where the drivers fall back to
randomly generating an lladdr if none is set by u-boot/edk/etc.

I don't think any of these are showstoppers, but do need to be considered.

--
I'm not entirely sure you are real.