On Sat, Feb 18, 2023 at 08:22:56AM +0000, Miod Vallat wrote:
> libexpat assumes the compiler might not know of the C99 format
> specifiers for ptrdiff_t and size_t, and tries to guess alternative
> format strings.

The problem is the printf runtime. There is no good way to detect the
support without running a test program and for a library that is
explicitly used in many cross-compilation environments, that's a
problem.

> The following diff relieves it of this misery (but can't be sent
> upѕtream, as it is too aggressive).

I think it might be a good idea to try again. Since C++11 support made
much of the runtime parts of C99 mandatory, even Microsoft had to adopt
and they were the last big holdout. I don't know how ancient the systems
are that expat targets, but asking seems to be a reasonable idea
nowadays.

Joerg