25.03.2023 19:36, Mark Kettenis пишет:
> To be honest I think we should remove this from the installer scripts.

Please, be my guest!

arm64 md_installboot() and its lack of softraid awareness on certain
boards is why we don't have instller support for guided disk encryption
on this platform, yet.

> This code tries to handle the case where we've just whacked the disk
> we've booted from since we're trying to install on it.  My current
> advice to people is to put the "system" firmware on a different disk
> than the OS (e.g. the firmware on uSD and the OS on USB).  This only
> tries to handle the pine64.  The only thing that sets pine64 apart
> from many other boards is that it was the first board we ran on.

I don't have the big picture of arm64 devices, but similar ones like
the Pinebook Pro are fine without md_installboot() hunks and instruct
users to flash firmware through INSTALL.arm64, so exceptions in
md_installboot() certainly seem odd.

> If we want to have support for updating the "system" firmware, we
> probably should follow the apple model, where we handle this in
> installboot.  But the we probably should do a better job at curating
> these firmwares.  At this point I'm not even confident the firmware we
> ship for pine64 actually works.  We've basically stopped updating the
> u-boot package because each update broke a subset of the boards we
> supported.

I also thought about moving this stuff to installboot(8), but again,
no idea what board needs what in terms of firmware and quirks.

If you think this stuff can go and other arm64 hackers agree, please
go ahead, it makes my work much easier.