05.04.2023 21:42, Jason McIntyre пишет:
> i had originally thought to suggest Li (although i hate it).

mdoc(7) .Dv says ", constant symbols," which fits well.

> anyway, when the tags stuff just works, i don;t have any issues. but
> then when we start adding markup just to get it working, it
> feels less great. doesn;t just being an .It argument promote the item to
> being tagged? (well, i guess not, but then shouldn;t it?)

Automatic tagging already works great, my impression is that the number
of manual tags is comparatively low;  I guess mostly .Tg for too
complicated markup like the 'route del[ete]' case.

.Dv for those route flags isn't really manual tagging either, but just
proper markup for fixed strings/implementation details, of which
automatic tagging is a great byproduct.

'grep -r "^\.It [a-z]" /usr/share/man/" shows sentences and compound
syntactical elements, for which a tag wouldn't make sense as-is, so I
think .It's argument should not be tagged automatically (unless it is
another macro like .Cm or .Dv):

/usr/share/man/man1/dc.1:.It output base must be a number greater than 1
/usr/share/man/man1/ksh.1:.It unary +