On 2023-04-05, Klemens Nanni <k...@openbsd.org> wrote:

>> In conversation with Klemens (kn@) new iteration has been born, it
>> follows to what Omar (op@) has suggested - we're not trying to change
>> the default answer for all cases, since no one complained for all these
>> years, but just flip default for installation mode, which should save
>> some keystrokes and back-and-forth movement for novice users.
>
> Feeback?
> This is OK kn if anyone wants to commit, else I'll take OKs.

We need to consider
(1) mode: install, upgrade
(2) medium: installXX, other

installXX.img and .iso carry the sets, and people who choose this
medium typically want to use the sets from the medium.  Other media
need to access external sets.  The question only comes up once
people have already chosen "Location of sets? disk".  Counter-
intuitively, using the sets included on installXX requires manual
mounting, so "no".

I arrive at this matrix of mode/medium, [default] answer, and
typically required answer:

                    install         upgrade
    installXX       [yes] no        [yes] no
    other           [yes] no        [yes] yes

The install/other case is likely rare.  The upgrade/other case is
common for developers who have built a release for testing purposes
and want to install it.  I think I changed the default to "yes" in
2017 exactly because upgrade/other was by far the dominant case for
developers.  (Note that this was also before sysupgrade.)

Flipping the default for installation mode produces this matrix:

                    install         upgrade
    installXX       [no] no         [yes] no
    other           [no] no         [yes] yes

I guess that's better?  It still presents the wrong default to
people who want to upgrade a machine without network access from a
USB stick.

--
Christian "naddy" Weisgerber                          na...@mips.inka.de