On Sun, Apr 09, 2023 at 10:08:25AM +0200, Claudio Jeker wrote:
> On Sun, Apr 09, 2023 at 09:15:12AM +0200, Otto Moerbeek wrote:
> > On Sun, Apr 09, 2023 at 08:20:43AM +0200, Otto Moerbeek wrote:
>
> I would prefer if every utrace() call is a full line (in other words ulog
> should be line buffered). It makes the regular kdump output more useable.
> Right now you depend on kdump -u to put the lines back together.
>
> Whenever I used utrace() I normally passed binary objects to the call so I
> could enrich the ktrace with userland trace info.  So if kdump -u is used
> for more then just mallocstats it should have a true binary mode. For
> example gmon.out is a binary format so the above example by semarie@ would
> not work.  As usual this can be solved in tree once that problem is hit.

Yes, I saw my example wasn't right for gmon.out. but it could be workarounded
easily with unvis(1) as the vis(3) options used preserved the reversibility.

$ kdump -u profil | unvis > gmon.out

I agree it could be done in tree if a binary output in kdump(1) is prefered.

Regarding profiling, I wonder if it is currently broken. I am investigating,
and
will do a bug report once I have enough information.
--
Sebastien Marie