Hi Evan,

Thanks for bringing this up. I've been trying to come up with a sensible
response to the original thread, but I figure since I wear a few hats, I'd
wait to reply with my TB hat on, and try to merge all my thoughts now.

I have no general objection to collecting this kind of information, so long
as it provides actual value. For example[1], connman connects back to
http://www.connman.net/online/status.html and reports its version every
time it establishes a network connection. This provides direct value to the
user because their software is able to better detect if it has actually
found a "real" Internet connection or not, and do something about it.

What value does the installer connect-back actually provide the user? Why
are raw counts of any value? It would seem that reporting a full set of
hardware details in the connect-back would actually give you better
before/after logs ("people with FooBar wifi are never seen again"), but it
still doesn't provide the user with immediate direct useful improvement to
their Ubuntu experience, so I'm not sure it's worth doing.

Thanks,

-Kees

[1]
http://git.kernel.org/?p=network/connman/connman.git;a=blob;f=plugins/portal.c
    Thanks to Marc Deslauriers for pointing this out to me.

--
Kees Cook
Ubuntu Security Team