On Fri, Jan 03, 2014 at 01:50:32PM -0800, Steve Langasek wrote:
> I know it's a feature that power users value, but I think the technical
> rationale for removing the option was valid, and still applies today.  I
> think a precondition for reintroducing the option to the menu should be to
> resolve the reliability problems that led to its removal in the first place
> (including the problem of systems having insufficient swap allocation), and
> to get the buy-in from the kernel team (cc:ed) that it will be supportable
> in the future.

I still don't see the sense in hiding a feature because it's buggy. How
else should we expect it to get fixed?

How about supporting the failure condition better? Add a dialog with
instructions/warnings? At the very least the option should be able to be
added back with a setting an adventurous user can set.

-Kees

--
Kees Cook