Hey Andres,

Andres Rodriguez [2015-02-27 15:32 -0500]:
> This is a request to demote MAAS from Main for Ubuntu 12.04 Precise.
>
> MAAS version (1.2) in Ubuntu Precise is no longer maintained upstream and
> we are no longer committed to maintain it in Ubuntu. This is a very old
> release (we are at 1.7 now) and currently would require a lot of effort to
> keep maintaining it, hence we are requesting its demotion.

These are the current versions in precise:

 maas | 0.1+bzr482+dfsg-0ubuntu1          | precise          | source, all
 maas | 1.2+bzr1373+dfsg-0ubuntu1~12.04.6 | precise-updates  | source, all

We technically cannot demote packages in stable releases. However, as
you already updated the 0.1 version to 1.2, there might be a case to
update 1.2 to something newer that you still maintain which is still
fully backwards compatible to 1.2. We recently discussed that as part
of the SRU exception, too, and I had the impression that you try hard
to not break backwards compat?

Note that we require filing MIR bugs (like MAAS' in #961344) for
exactly this case: it's a commitment to "yes, we want to support this
for 5 years", and thus also a promise to people who actually roll this
out in production.

Finally, if 1.5/1.7 are not backwards compatible to 1.2, and you don't
want to update 1.2 any more, what's the minimum maintenance that
actually is required on 1.2? As long as it works, it doesn't require
updating, and given that it is a mechanism to completely own/control a
bunch of hardware, this doesn't appear to be a primary worry for
security updates either?

Thanks,

Martin