As a member of the Technical Board who is not on the Release Team, it
always struck me as odd that the TB is responsible for determining which
flavours qualify for the LTS label.

Personally, if someone from the release team says it's OK, then I agree.
I don't think I have anything to add or change. I don't think I have any
expertise or considered opinion to add in this area that I'd routinely
want to provide any input that the release team has not already done.

Contrast with the new flavour process[1][2] where a requirement is "The
flavour’s intention and goals are aligned with the goals of the Ubuntu
project"[3] which doesn't seem to me like a release team thing. So in
that case I think it makes sense to consult with the TB on just that
point, but to leave everything else to the release team.

Could the LTS designation decision for flavours be something that we
could delegate entirely to the release team for future cycles?

Of course technically the TB would retain the right to overrule
anything, but that would be exceptional and I don't see any reason for
the process to have to involve TB in the routine case.

Robie

[1] https://wiki.ubuntu.com/RecognizedFlavors/NewFlavorProcess
[2] https://wiki.ubuntu.com/RecognizedFlavors
[3] IIRC I was the one who suggested this, but my point remains that I
think it makes sense for the TB to decide this, but not everything else
routine, including the remaining logistics of new flavours and
per-LTS-cycle individual flavour LTS qualification