Can someone please tell me what an "unlawful IP" address is?

------

Korea to Fight Web Attacks From China

By Kim Tae-gyu
Staff Reporter

To counter the problem of identity theft, the Korean government will block
the backdoor Internet pathway from abroad, which were used to steal personal
data by getting bypass links to the country's Internet network.

The Ministry of Information and Communication Tuesday revealed steps aimed
at controlling the nation's rampant personal data leakage to overseas
countries, especially China.

``Since last week, in collaboration with Internet service providers, we
already intercepted 2,600 illegal IPs, which were found to be the main
routes for penetrating the Korean network,'' Lee Sung-ok, director general
at the ministry, said.

Identity theft en masse surfaced last month after complaints piled up that
hackers stole private data, including resident registration numbers, from
Koreans in order to subscribe to ``Lineage,'' the popular online game.

Chinese hackers are suspected of leading the cyber crimes via a bypass link
based on unlawful IPs, an alternative path other than the legitimate,
primary one.

``In the future, we will continue to keep tabs on such illegal IPs geared
toward breaking into the Korean network and stealing personal information,''
Lee said.

Lee said the ministry will also urge local Internet firms to use an
alternative system other then resident registration numbers, the Korean
version of social security numbers, for signing up to Web sites.

``Furthermore, we will recommend Web sites use cell phones as a
certification method to deter illegal subscribers. They can require people
to enter their mobile phone numbers together with resident numbers when
signing up,'' Lee noted.

``The site then will send certification figures via mobile handsets and
users will be have to enter the multi-digit number on the Web site for user
verification,'' he added.

The Chinese government will be asked to delete the personal data of many
Koreans in circulation in China's cyberspace, he said.

To prevent the recurrence of massive personal data leakage, the ministry
also unveiled a package of measures including propagation of security
patches as well as firewalls.

``Currently, the penetration rates of security patches stand at just 38
percent. We will increase the figure 80 percent and mandate gaming companies
to install Web firewalls,'' Lee said.

Toward that end, the country's main portal and game sites will have to be
equipped with programs that automatically install security patches on
subscribers' computers.

The ministry also looks to check the security of the country's 70,000
most-visited Web sites every day to shield them from onslaughts by
unscrupulous crackers.

TELECOM-CITIES
Current searchable archives (Feb. 1, 2006 to present) at
http://www.mail-archive.com/telecom-cities@forums.nyu.edu/
Old searchble archives at
http://www.mail-archive.com/telecom-cities@googlegroups.com/