On Jun 6, 2007, at 5:54 AM, Adam Holt wrote:

>>> I guess I have to say that I'm disappointed.  I've always been a
>>> fan of
>>> email lists, and dislike web-based vehicles, be they forums or
>>> blogs,
>>> for several reasons:
>>>
>>> 1. I'm far more likely to read messages that come to me (i.e.,
>>> email)
>>> than things I have to remember to go to (e.g., web sites).  And
>>> no, RSS
>>> is not the same as email.  Forums/blogs that can be configured to
>>> send
>>> emails when new items are posted are a reasonable middle ground - at
>>> least they remind you to come look.

Squeet, Feedburner, Rmail, numerous other services will pump RSS
feeds to you by email. I'll see if I can add some links to the new
site to streamline the process.

>>> 2. Blogs are nowhere near as democratic as email lists - on a
>>> discussion
>>> list, all are peers, while on a blog, the bloggers are standing on a
>>> soapbox with everyone else as kibbitzers.

The list has operated this way for a long time already, with a
serious long tail in terms of contributions.

>>> 3. By and large, as both a participant and as an organizer, I've
>>> found
>>> lists a much more effective tool for building and maintaining a
>>> community.

Not me... this list is dying on the vine. It's served its purpose,
but I'm no longer going to steer the helm on what has become one of
the Internet's ghost ships.

>>> Sorry to say, I'm probably going to completely forget that the
>>> new site
>>> exists.
>>>
>>> Miles Fidelman

Sorry to hear that.

TELECOM-CITIES
Current searchable archives (Feb. 1, 2006 to present) at
Old searchble archives at
http://www.mail-archive.com/telecom-cities@googlegroups.com/