On Tue, 26 Apr 2016 09:54:00 +0200
Niels Ole Salscheider <niels_...@salscheider-online.de> wrote:

> Am Montag, 25. April 2016, 20:59:28 CEST schrieb Martin Klapetek:
> > On Mon, Apr 25, 2016 at 12:52 PM, Dominik George
> > <n...@naturalnet.de> wrote:
> > > Hi,

> > > Which is a good thing.
> > >
> > > Make people want to use free software and services, rather than
> > > spoiling free software with crap.
> >
> > It's not a good thing.
> >
> > Free software and services unfortunately are not in a position
> > to dictate trends to the world, as sad as it may be.
> >
> > If significant portion of people are using WhatsApp or WhatEver,
> > not supporting it only means being obliterated into irrelevance
> > because nobody is going to use something, network or client, where
> > they will be all alone, no matter how much better it may really be.
> > And there is no way you could convince even 10% of your friends
> > to switch to any current free software and service (diaspora,
> > anyone?).
>
> Well, I think I was close to 10% at some point when it comes to XMPP.
> Yes, it takes some time to convince your friends to give it a try,
> but that's not the real problem.

I have 85% of my friends on XMPP now.
With Conversations and Gajim all works perfectly fine, they have
everything they need.
When the MIX Extension is there they might even have better MUCs.

Using http_upload all their file sending/receiving is no problem either.

And since Monal moved to GitHub I see it's development is more active
too, so I have hope of there being a usable iOS client to (for the iOS
friends).

> The real problem is to make people stay. And that's somewhat
> difficult with the current state of XMPP clients since there is way
> too much that does not work reliable: File transfers fail because of
> NAT, audio and video chat does not work reliable, messages get lost
> because people insist on using IM on their phones and nobody
> implements stream management. Then you start to explain why one needs
> OTR on top of XMPP and that comes with its own problems (e. g. when
> you are online with several devices, when you send encrypted offline
> messages and so on). And then you have to admit that your file
> transfers and audio/video chats are completely unencrypted and that
> they should not be used for sensible information.
>
> This really leaves the impression that XMPP does not work well (of
> course its only the fault of the implementations but noone will care
> if you tell them). I think the situation would be much better if
> there was one good client for at least Linux (because that's what I
> care about ;-) ), Windows and Android that fixes all these issues.
> The XEPs are there (apart from encryption but one could at least
> implement OMEMO for text and SRTP for everything else) but
> implementing them is of course much work.

I totally agree to this.
People try one client maybe a second, and they don't work as expected.
Making them think the whole XMPP is bad. Onle when I started to tell
people which client they should use they started to migrate. On the
internet so many articles mention "XMPP as WhatsApp alternative" but
they don't give exact description and make the user think that bare
XMPP with no extensions and with any client will work like they are
used to from WhatsApp.
Telling them which to use was a initial step, but now I think improving
the existing clients is important.

This is why I would like to dedicate some time to telepathy-gabble and
Empathy.
Maybe someone more advanced is in the mood too, and we could start. I
guess initially I will need some help to learn the workflow. But then I
intend to work without bothering others much.