Everything here, save the @APPEND note at the bottom, will work in every
version of Tango, Witango and TeraScript I know of.

From: Bishop Weiss [mailto:bishop...@gmail.com]
Sent: Thursday, March 05, 2015 11:37 PM
To: TeraScript-Talk@terascript.com
Subject: Re: TeraScript-Talk: Concatenating Text

Robert,

I let me ask again, I am still running a 5.5 server. I thought I tried these
kind of things and it didn’t seem to work.

Mark

On Mar 5, 2015, at 6:49 PM, Robert Shubert <rshub...@tronics.com
<mailto:rshub...@tronics.com> > wrote:

TS does concatenation of any strings, variables and tags at any place where TML
is acceptable.

So you can select the value from the database and resave it right away with the
concatenation.

Let's say you so select just the column and record you want to edit:

SELECT column FROM table WHERE primary_key = 1

So resultset is now a 1x1 array of the value you want to append.

Then just update the record with the additional string:

UPDATE table SET column = '<@VAR resultset[1,1]> additional text' WHERE
primary_key = 1

I'm illustrating with SQL, but you would simply place:

            <@VAR resultset[1,1]> additional text

In the value column of the update action.

As a more advanced way, you can have SQL do the concatenation in one query with
the + operator:

UPDATE table set column = column + 'additional text' WHERE primary_key = 1

The upside is that you only execute one query, the downside is that you don't
have the value afterwards.

You can do this with the update action but you must handle your own quoting. A
Custom SQL (directDBMS) would also work.

In 7.0.3 I added @APPEND (<@APPEND varname string>) so that you can write
clearer code when doing concatenation. Using the above resultset you would
<@APPEND resultset[1,1] 'additional text'> which, in my opinion, is obvious
code.

Robert