Dear Jon,

Beginning for analyzing; I try also to detect lines, corners; but results
are not good. I think due to images are low contrast.

Please try to analyze with some data line profiles:

ROI-left-profile:

https://picasaweb.google.com/congnguyenba/TesseractBasedOCR#5576706091073985
362

ROI-top-profile:

https://picasaweb.google.com/congnguyenba/TesseractBasedOCR#5576706094761082
706

ROI-right-profile:

https://picasaweb.google.com/congnguyenba/TesseractBasedOCR#5576706102033630
978

ROI-bottom-profile:

https://picasaweb.google.com/congnguyenba/TesseractBasedOCR#5576706106389606
898

After doing ROI detection, may be you need to align image.

My solution for this step is:

-          detect all lines (Hough transform approach), and then keep all
lines have slops are similar to horizontal lines.

-          Estimate base-slop based on mean slop

-          Align image

Here are detected lines:

https://picasaweb.google.com/congnguyenba/TesseractBasedOCR#5576709473940745
778