This param controls the maximum allowed length of connected
component's contour (blob outline in terms of Tesseract).

I suspect, Tess decided that the dominant color of the text is white
and hence it could not construct all blobs' outlines until you've
raised the value "edges_maxedgelength" (since the outer outline of the
big white blob is very long). One of Tess's notable features is that
it can handle inverted text. Though it should be able to get all
outlines, and you've helped him to achieve this.

Warm regards,
Dmitry Silaev