> asc traineddata does not have a wordlist or dictionary, so using eng will
> help with that.

You mean unpack the wordlist from eng and pack it into the asc one? Or run
tesseract with "eng+asc"? Currently I run each language in complete
isolation from each other, and figure out the results myself.

For example I found, when doing ocr on a greek language file, that
"eng+ell" and "ell+eng" results in the same incorrect output. I have to run
"ell" on its own to get correct results.

> If you train with the font you are using, you will get better results.

I don't have 'a font' that I'm using. My client has thousands documents in
different languages, that I need 'fix'. Working just on ascii extended
range (I know that doesn't mean one encoding) right now, then onto full
Unicode BMP range. So I can't train in that sense.

A big problem I'm having now, is that I am relying on the per character
confidence values from tesseract, and some traineddata, such as the ascii
one you provided, have "inflated" confidence scores, so I replace the
correct unicode result, from say deu.traineddata, and replace with an
incorrect unicode result from asc.traineddata, because the confidence value
is higher in the latter. I'm hoping to improve that "somehow"....

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tesseract-ocr/18d865ca-95fb-4b53-b8fb-acdbc304570f%40googlegroups.com.